Fourth of July is next week and I am SO. EXCITED.
This is probably my favorite holiday because it combines three of my favorite things – food, my family/friends, and fireworks! Oh, and birthdays! I love birthdays.
Over the past couple of years, I have been making cakes to celebrate America’s birthday. Because you can’t celebrate a birthday without some form of cake (it’s bad luck!). This year is a little different as I am working at the hospital on Tuesday. So no time for cake this year. But we are having a holiday potluck at work and I volunteered to bring dessert.
So I’m bringing these Patriotic Rice Crispy Treats.
They are the traditional treat with a twist. Puffed rice cereal is swapped out for rice square cereal and the treats are then dunked into white chocolate and dusted with sprinkles. Definitely delicious and a fun, festive way to celebrate the Fourth.
(PS – these travel great, which makes them perfect if you picnic to watch the fireworks!)
These Rice Crispy Treats start with the marshmallow base.
In a large, heavy pot set over medium heat, melt three tablespoons of butter.
When the butter is melted, add in the marshmallows. It doesn’t matter what size you have, both mini and standard work well here.
Stir the marshmallows constantly until they are melted.
Then add in the rice square cereal. Quickly fold the cereal into the marshmallow. When the cereal is completely coated, pour it immediately into a greased 9×13-inch pan (I actually line mine with parchment too!). Spray your [clean] hands with some cooking spray and use them to press the treats into an even, flat layer – it works much better than using a spatula. **CAUTION: the mixture is still hot so be careful!** Allow the treats to cool completely before slicing into squares.
Because it is a birthday, I dipped the bottoms of the treats into melted white chocolate and decorated with sprinkles. If you want a lighter coat of chocolate, you can use a fork and drizzle it over the treats. Allow the chocolate to harden for about an hour before digging in (or popping into an airtight container for later).
Definitely a great way to celebrate America’s birthday!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10oz marshmallows
- 7 cups rice square cereal
- 6oz white chocolate, melted
- In a large, heavy pot set over medium heat, add in butter. When the butter is melted, add in the marshmallows and stir constantly until melted.
- Add in the rice square cereal. Quickly fold the cereal into the marshmallow. When the cereal is all coated, pour the cereal mixture into a greased 9x13-inch pan. *CAUTION: the mixture can still be hot* Spray your hand with cooking spray and press the cereal into an even, flat layer. Allow the treats to cool completely.
- Cut the treats into squares. Dip the lower portions of the treats into melted chocolate and gently shake off the excess. Decorate with sprinkles and then lay on a sheet of parchment paper to harden. Enjoy!