So this is actually is not my recipe.
My sister is amazing. She is on a stellar career-path, runs half-marathons, and is an awesome human being. While she is rocking her work place and running obscene amounts of miles, she really does not like to cook. During our schooling overlap (my two years of grad school coincided with her last two years of undergrad), I was the one who did the cooking. But since my sister has been living on her own, she has started to cook a lot more and starting to come up with recipes of her own.
Like this one for BBQ Chicken Pizza.
It is absolutely delicious, super quick to whip up, and is definitely a crowd-pleaser! Plus, it is a great way to use up any BBQ leftovers you have lying around – leftover grilled chicken, that half-empty bottle of barbecue sauce, and that little bit of onion.
So basically, this pizza awesome and you have to try it!
It starts with your favorite pizza crust. I used the Mark Bittman pizza crust, but you can use whatever crust you like the best! When she’s running short on time, my sister actually buys pre-made refrigerated pizza dough from the grocery store.
Spread out the pizza dough onto a greased baking sheet.
Then spoon over some cooked chicken that has been tossed in just enough barbecue sauce to coat it. I love this recipe because this recipe can use up leftover chicken. I used two leftover grilled chicken breasts that I cubed small (so it yielded ~2 cups of chicken) and tossed in my favorite barbecue sauce. This is why I love this pizza so much… it uses up leftover chicken and whatever sauce is your favorite. You like super spicy sauce – use it. You like smoky sauce – use it. You like sweet and mellow sauce – use it. Everything works here.
Then for a little bite, add some thinly sliced red onion.
And layer on some fresh mozzarella cheese. If you can’t find it (or just don’t want to use it), feel free to use the shredded stuff!
Pop the pizza into a preheated 450 degree oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until the cheese is melty and the crust is golden on the bottom.
Slice it up (or wedge it like we do in our house!) and serve to hungry family and friends with extra sauce to drizzle over the top as desired.
E definitely knocked it out of the park with this one!
So, kiddos, what’s your favorite pizza topping?
E’s Older Sister
- 2-3 cups cubed chicken breast
- ½ cup barbecue sauce, plus extra for serving - whatever brand you like
- ¼ medium-sized red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thin
- Pizza dough - homemade or store-bought
- Cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Spray rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place pizza dough onto baking sheet and evenly stretch the dough into an even layer. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken and barbecue sauce and toss to evenly coat - the chicken should just be coated... too much sauce will make the pizza soggy! Spoon the chicken in an even layer over the pizza crust, leaving a 1-inch border.
- Layer the red onion slices over the chicken.
- Layer on the fresh mozzarella. Pop the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and the crust is golden brown. Serve immediately.