My favorite citrus fruit?
The blood orange.
I was first introduced to this interesting orange when I was out to brunch with friends and received fresh slices on top of my chicken and waffles. While I was completely baffled about this bright maroon fruit at first (I thought it was a type of grapefruit…), I have come to love the blood orange.
They are still sweet like a traditional orange but their color is absolutely beautiful and striking.
When I was trying to think about a good cocktail for my Super Bowl party this weekend, I knew I had to use some of the remaining blood oranges in my fridge. And what goes better with citrus?
Margaritas are my number one mixed drink and I usually gravitate to boring, plain ones (with extra salt, please!). But this year, I am all for stepping out of my food comfort box. I was a little concerned that they would be a little too sweet with the blood orange juice, but boy, was I wrong! The juice gave the margaritas the most perfect raspberry color and added just enough sweetness to round out the harsher tequila notes.
They are now my #1 winter cocktail and they could not be easier to make…
All you need to do is combine blood orange juice + lime juice + simple syrup + tequila in a shaker (or if you’re lazy like me, a mason jar), shake, and then pour over ice. I was super fancy and salted the rims of my glasses but you can totally skip this if you aren’t a big fan of salt. All that’s left is to garnish with a slice of blood orange and sip away.
Definitely my go-to cocktail for the next few months.
So, what are you going to be sipping on during the Super Bowl?
- 5 tablespoons blood orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon simple syrup
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- Salt for the rim of the glass, optional
- Blood orange slice, for garnish
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Heat mixture over medium heat until sugar dissolves completely. Let syrup cool completely before pouring into a container and storing in the fridge.
- To make the margaritas:
- In a shaker, combine juices, simple syrup, and tequila. Shake well to combine. Pour over ice in a salt-rimmed glass. Enjoy responsibly!
Leave a Reply