Happy Sunday, guys!
This is probably my favorite Sunday this summer. It’s all about summertime fun today.
Today is all about farmer’s market + brunch + family cookout.
Oh, and it also happens to be smack dab in the middle of Fourth of July Weekend – two more days of vacation!!
Which means that there is no early morning wake-up call, so that means you can spend more time around a bonfire enjoying the company of your family and friends. (yay!)
Because it is Fourth of July weekend, I wanted to stick to the stars and stripes theme for dessert tonight. But I wanted something easy to make and easy to eat, which meant that I was totally not in the mood to make my traditional Blueberry Pie.
So I decided to make individual blueberry pies in gratin dishes – all the flavor (and adorable star topping) of the original in an easy to serve portion.
The recipe below makes two generous pies, but you can definitely scale the recipe up to feed a crowd!
Bonus? They are completely done in under 45 minutes, meaning more time to spend with your family and friends!
These Blueberry Pies for Two starts with the filling!
Blueberries + sugar + cinnamon + lemon zest + lemon juice + cornstarch. Toss everything to combine.
Portion the blueberry filling into two individual gratin dishes (I got these beauties from World Market!).
Top with some pie crust stars – you can use homemade or store-bought! I used about a quarter of a pie crust per individual pie!
Brush the pie crust stars with some egg wash (egg + water/milk) and sprinkle with some coarse sugar. Pop the gratin dishes onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree over for about 20-25 minutes until the blueberries are bubbly and the crust is golden.
Definitely a sweet way to celebrate the Fourth of July!
Have a great rest of the weekend, everyone!
- ½ pint blueberries, washed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sprinkle of ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Half a pie crust, store-bought or homemade
- Egg Wash - one egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of skim milk
- Coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place two individual circular gratin dishes onto the baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon, and cornstarch. Stir to combine.
- Roll out the pie crust to an even ¼-inch thickness. Cut out stars using a cookie cutter.
- Portion out the blueberry filling evenly between the two gratin dishes. Top each pie with pie crust stars (about ¼ of the pie crust each). Brush the stars with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Pop the baking sheet holding the pies into the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the blueberries are bubbly and the crust stars are golden. Enjoy!