Do you guys remember Little Bites?
Those little packages of bite-sized brownies/muffins/cookies that your parent slipped into your lunch bag or brought as snack for your after-school activity?
They were awesome (the little blueberry muffins were my favorite!). I think that it was less about the taste/flavor of the treat (but they were delicious) and more about the fun bite-sized portion of the baked good. As a kid, it was the best having a little sack of miniature muffins that I could eat all by myself.
So I decided to re-create them… with a grown-up twist!
I took one of my favorite muffin recipes – Banana Pecan – and added in my favorite baking alcohol – whiskey. The end result was mini muffin awesomeness!
Definitely not a recipe to make an appearance in your kiddos lunch box (yours on the other hand… definitely acceptable!).
It starts with the dry ingredients.
Flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir with a whisk to combine – be patient, the brown sugar can clump slightly.
When the dry ingredients are all combined, mix together the wet ingredients.
Skim milk, vegetable oil, and one egg.
And the best ingredient – WHISKEY. A quarter cup, please.
(definitely an adult snack)
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Gently mix until combine.
Then add in a mashed banana and some chopped pecans. Quickly (but gently) stir everything together and then portion out the batter into greased mini muffin cups.
Garnish the tops of the muffins with some extra pecans. Bake the muffins in a preheated 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes until they are just done.
Little Bites for Grown-Ups!
I hope you enjoy this nostalgic treat (with a twist).
Your throwback snack lovin’ friend,
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¾ cup skim milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup whiskey
- 2 medium-sized overripe bananas, mashed completely
- ½ cup pecan halves, chopped small
- Chopped pecans for garnish
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 3 12-cup mini muffin pans with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk to combine - be patient, the brown sugar can clump!
- In a small bowl, combine milk, vegetable oil, egg, and whiskey. Whisk to combine. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and mix gently to combine.
- Add in mashed bananas and chopped pecans. Stir to combine.
- Using a tablespoon, portion out batter into the muffin tins. Bake the muffins for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Serve alongside your favorite cup of coffee or tea!
Leave a Reply