My good friend from college and I got together last week for dinner and it was so, so restorative.
After a crazy, busy day, there is nothing better than sitting down with a friend and decompressing. Plus, she’s a physician’s assistant so she totally gets the whole hectic hospital culture/lifestyle.
So, we decided to meet up at a Chinese restaurant that is in my town that offers yummy food (for me) and a full sushi bar (for her). While she ate brightly colored rolls with interesting names, I ordered my old standby – Chicken + String Beans in Garlic Sauce. And it is awesome.
Strips of stir-fried chicken topped slightly charred string beans that are bathed in a brown sauce loaded with garlic and hot peppers. It is the perfect balance of lean protein + veggies + garlic + spiciness. And let’s face it, who does not love a good string bean?
So as I was trying to come up with a side dish for my leftover salmon dinner on Friday night, I decided to make my own version of String Beans in Garlic Sauce. But since I didn’t have string beans, I subbed in broccoli and sugar snap peas. So I guess the true name of this dish is Broccoli and Peas in Garlic Sauce…
It was still super yummy and a great reminder of the fabulous night I had catching up with my friend.
(oh and it takes NO time to whip up!)
To make the sauce…
… add some olive oil to a skillet set over medium-low heat. Add in some thinly sliced garlic and crushed red pepper flake. Cook until the garlic is fragrant.
Then add in some steamed broccoli and sugar snap peas.
Oh, and please make sure to snip both ends of the snow peas (I was lazy and skipped this step… not a good decision at all).
Toss the veggies with the garlic and hot pepper until they are slightly charred.
Turn the heat down and add in some chicken broth, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Stir everything to combine.
Then pour in a cornstarch slurry to thicken everything up.
Sprinkle over some sliced scallions over the veggies before serving.
I served mine up next to some rice and some leftover salmon. Easy dinner done!
Definitely a great way to remember a wonderful night out with a good friend!
So, where do you like to go out to eat with your friends?
- 2 cups broccoli florets, steamed
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed and steamed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon hot chili flakes
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of corn starch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 1 scallion, sliced thin
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add in the garlic and chili flake. Cook for 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant.
- Add in the broccoli and sugar snap peas and cook for 2-3 minutes until the vegetables become slightly browned.
- Turn the heat down slightly and add in the chicken broth, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Stir to combine. Pour in the corn starch slurry and stir to combine until sauce is thick and glossy.
- Garnish with sliced scallions before serving. Enjoy!