It is finally feeling like summer… AKA 100% humidity and 80+ degree weather.
Which means that I do not want to turn on my oven to make dinner. So that means that I turn to the grill. All the heat stays outside and we end up with dinner that is delicious and nutritious!
So, it’s a win all around.
Last night, we whipped up some of the easiest rice and beans in the world and then popped some steak on the grill… in under forty minutes, we had Carne Asada Bowls for dinner!
It’s a summer dinner winner!
(say that three times fast!)
The Beans and Rice that I used in these bowls are my go-to recipe – literally takes 20 minutes to whip up and is veggie-packed!
The Carne Asada (AKA, thinly sliced grilled beef) is also super easy and quick to whip up.
Grab yourself a top round steak (about 3 pounds) and pop it into a heavy duty zip-top bag. When we are at the store, we usually grab a pack that has two (about 1.5 pounds each) – we marinade both of the steaks and then cook one and freeze the other. Then an easy weeknight dinner is always at the ready.
The marinade is also the quickest thing to pull together.
Pour some olive oil into a measuring cup.
Add in some Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
Then add in some salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dried oregano. Whisk everything together and then pour the marinade over the steaks. Zip the bag closed and toss the steaks in the marinade. Pop the steaks in the fridge and allow them to marinate for 15-30 minutes to overnight.
Grill the steaks over medium-high heat for about 6 minutes per side (shifting the steak 45 degrees after three minutes to make the cross-hatch pattern).
Remove the steak to a clean plate and allow it to rest for at least fifteen minutes before cutting.
Spoon some rice and beans into a bowl. Add in some thinly sliced pieces of steaks. Garnish with your favorite toppings, like salsa, plain Greek yogurt, lime wedges, or avocado! The topping choices are endless!!
Seriously, squeeze lime juice over everything and dig in.
Dinner done (and you aren’t a sweaty mess!).
Have an awesome Tuesday, guys!
- 3 pound top round steak, trimmed
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Place the steak into a heavy duty zip-top bag.
- In a measuring cup, combine olive oil, salt, pepper, worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, and dried oregano. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the marinade over the steak, zip the bag closed, and gently toss the steak to coat in the marinade. Pop the steak into the fridge to chill for thirty minutes to overnight.
- To cook the steak, preheat your grill over medium-high heat. Grill the steak for about 6 minutes per side. Remove the steak from the grill and allow it to rest for at least fifteen minutes. Slice thin and serve to hungry family and friends!