During graduate school, it snowed a lot.
Like “a good couple of inches every week” a lot.
And while I was cooped up in the house during early morning squalls, I baked… cookies, brownies, bread, cupcakes, etc. etc. etc. Whenever there was swirling white snow outside, there was swirls of flour in my kitchen.
There was something comforting about hanging in the kitchen in my pjs with the oven on, ingredients everywhere, and soft country music playing in the background. I have very fond memories of those mornings and I try to recreate them often!
While we haven’t had much snow this season (except for yesterday…), I still relish quiet mornings in my pi’s with my stand mixer and flour everywhere. So when I had a Saturday morning free, I decided to whip up something delicious while my crew was sleeping.
I made Chocolate Oreo Cookies and they were awesome!
Chocolate cookies + Oreo cookie pieces + dark chocolate chips = basically all my favorite things in one cookie.
And, true to my grad school baking roots, this can be easily made with a hand mixer in under 30 minutes! (because the cookies needed to be finished before class started!)
It starts with assembling the dry ingredients.
Flour + cocoa powder + baking soda + salt. Whisk together to thoroughly combine and break up any cocoa clumps.
Then in a large bowl, combine butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. PS: you can do this in either your stand mixer or with a hand mixer!
Add in an egg and some vanilla extract. Beat until combined. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and continue to mix until just combined.
Then add in the fun stuff! Some Oreo cookie pieces and dark chocolate chips. Mix them in, being careful to not break up the cookies too much.
Portion out tablespoons of dough and top with additional Oreo pieces and chocolate chips. Bake them at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes until the middle is just set.
A sweet trip down memory lane.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup natural cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (half a stick!)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Oreo cookies, crumbled into large pieces
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Extra Oreo crumbles and chips for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl + hand mixer), combine butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and beat until combine.
- With the mixer on low, add in the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined. Add in the cookie crumbles and chocolate chips.
- Portion out tablespoon portions of the dough, roll into balls, pop them onto a clean baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and then top with some extra Oreos and chips. Pop the baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until the middle is set. Enjoy!