These are my absolute favorite holiday side.
And probably everyone else’s favorite holiday side too.
This is my family’s number one way to prepare sweet potatoes for the holidays. My mom found this recipe in a Eating Well magazine many years ago, tried it, and it has been a holiday staple ever since.
What I love about this recipe is that it has all the traditional flavors of holiday sweet potatoes but is surprisingly light! Also, it’s probably the easiest recipe to make ever.
Yes, it takes a bit to bake but it literally takes 20 minutes to throw together. It’s a pop-it-in-the-oven-and-forget-it kinda dish. Which makes is the perfect thing for this crazy holiday season.
Here is how you make these awesome Craisin Sweet Potatoes!
It starts with sweet potatoes.
Peel three pounds of sweet potatoes and pop them into a deep baking dish that has been sprayed with baking spray. I know that this seems like a lot of potatoes, but trust me… they will disappear!
Sprinkle over some craisins.
And then pour over a delicious liquid that consists of rum (or vodka!), apple cider (or orange juice or pomegranate juice or cranberry juice), brown sugar, allspice, nutmeg, and butter. All the ingredients are combined in saucepan and heated until butter is melted. Pour the liquid mixture over the sweet potatoes and… that’s it.
Like I said, this is a throw-together side. (which is my favorite kind of side!)
All that’s left is to pop the top onto the baking dish and pop the baking dish into a pre-heated 375 degree oven for an hour. Then pop the lid off, turn up the oven temperature to 425 degrees, and roast for another 30 minutes until they are bubbly and brown.
And dig in!
Seriously, they are side dish perfection.
(you have to try them!)
So, what’s your go-to holiday side?
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peels and cut into 1-2-inch chunks
- ⅓ cup craisins
- 1¼ cup juice, either apple cider, orange juice, pomegranate juice, or cranberry juice
- ⅓ cup white rum (or vodka if you're in a pinch!)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Grab a lidded, high-sided baking dish and lightly spray the interior with cooking spray.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle over the craisins. Set aside the baking dish while you assemble the liquid mixture.
- In a small saucepan set over medium heat, combine juice, rum, butter, sugar, salt, allspice, and nutmeg. Cook the mixture for 1-2 minutes until the butter is melted.
- Evenly pour the liquid mixture over the sweet potatoes.
- Put the lid on the baking dish and pop the sweet potatoes into the oven for about an hour. After an hour, raise the oven temperature to 425 degrees and uncover the dish. Bake the potatoes for an additional 30 minutes until the juices are thickened and the potatoes are brown.
- Serve alongside your favorite holiday dishes, like roasted meats and poultry.
Leave a Reply