As much as I love summer, I don’t love this 90-degree heat + 100% humidity. With the oppressive heat outside, I do not want to turn on my oven inside AT ALL. So when a pizza craving hit, I knew that I needed to be a little creative.
I grabbed all of summer’s finest ingredients and heated up the grill!
Yes, I grilled pizza.
And it was awesome.
One of my favorite pizzas is the Fig + Proscuitto Pizza. It is a pizza crust slathered in fig preserves, topped with mozzarella, and accented with proscuitto – it is baked until crispy and bubbly and then topped with a bunch of fresh arugula. I love the contrasts between sweet and salty, hot and cold. But I decided to put a spin on the traditional and used fresh peaches instead of the figs.
Bonus? The pizza literally takes 10 minutes to grill, which means minimal heat/humidity exposure and maximum dinner happiness.
Since the pizza takes no time to cook, it is really important to prep everything ahead of time. While the grill pre-heats, grab some fresh ripe peaches.
Slice them up, drizzle them with a little olive oil, and sprinkle them with a little kosher salt. Toss to combine.
Then prep all the toppings – slice the mozzarella, open the proscuitto package, and wash/dry the arugula.
Now we cook!
Pop the peach slices onto half of the pre-heated grill and some naan bread (which serves as the crust – total time saver!) on the other half. Grill the peaches for about 60 seconds per side, until tender and slightly charred. When the peaches are done, pull the peaches and the naan off the grill.
Place the naan, grilled side up, onto a board. Top with the sliced peaches.
And add some sliced fresh mozzarella.
Pop the naan back onto the grill and then top with naan with some proscuitto. Close the lid of the grill and allow the pizzas to cook until the cheese is melty and yummy.
Remove the pizzas and top immediately with the arugula.
They are yummy just like this, but I got a little fancy with a balsamic glaze drizzle.
Summer dinner cannot get easier or better than this!
- 2 fresh peaches, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 whole wheat naan breads
- ½ pound fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
- 3 pieces of prosciutto, cut in half
- 2 cups baby arugula, washed and dried well
- Balsamic vinegar glaze, optional
- Pre-heat your grill on medium-high heat.
- Toss the peaches with the olive oil and salt to combine.
- Place the peaches onto one half of the grill. Place the naan on the other half. Cook the peaches for 60 seconds per side, or until tender and with good grill marks. Cook the naan for two minutes on one side (the same time as the peaches take to cook).
- When the peaches are cooked, remove the peaches and naan from the grill. Lay the naan, grilled side up, on a board. Split the peach slices between both naan breads, ensuring the slices are evenly layered.
- Layer fresh mozzarella on top of the peaches. Return the naan to the grill.
- Place three proscuitto halves on each pizza. Close the lid of the grill and cook the pizzas for 1-2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the naan pizzas and top with half of the arugula. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar glaze if desired. Cut into wedges and serve!