This recipe was born in the tiny galley kitchen of my sister’s apartment. The two foods that E loves the most are eggs and avocados, so she always has a carton of eggs and ripe avocados in her apartment.
During one sister visit, we needed (okay, wanted) to have a hearty breakfast before she headed off to work and I dove into my RD exam studying. Since we were leaving the next day to come back to the homestead, we needed to clean out her fridge. While rummaging through her fridge, we found an almost empty carton of eggs (the horror!), an avocado that was on the verge of going bad, and a jar of salsa.
And Lazy Girl Huevos Rancheros were born.
Huevos Rancheros is a Tex-Mex breakfast dish that consists of sunny-side up or fried eggs that are topped with salsa and/or guacamole and served alongside rice and beans. Our version is the lazy cousin of this breakfast staple – just simple fried eggs topped with avocado and salsa. The essence of the traditional dish is there, but with a speedier, more pantry-friendly twist.
It starts with two fried eggs.
Heat a non-stick skillet with some butter and crack in two eggs. Season with salt and pepper and allow the whites to begin to firm up and bubble on the edges. You can make this dish with sunny side up eggs if you want – this dish is versatile!
Flip the eggs over and cook them to your preferred level of done-ness. I like my whites more firm with the yolk still a little runny.
Then it’s time to build the Huevos Rancheros!
Gently plop the eggs on a plate…
… and add on a few slices of ripe avocado.
And a dollop of salsa (I like either medium or hot salsa on my Huevos Rancheros).
Then you’re DONE!
Yes, it’s that easy.
An easy morning breakfast that is big on flavor, but quick to make! (psst… make it for breakfast today!)
Happy Tuesday, kiddos.
Your lazy breakfast maker,
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ medium-sized ripe avocado, sliced and drizzled with lime juice to prevent browning
- 1-2 tablespoons salsa, homemade or store-bought
- In a medium-sized, non-stick skillet, heat butter over medium-low heat. When the butter is melted, gently crack the eggs into the skillet. Cook the eggs until the white becomes opaque on the bottom and begins to set, about 1-2 minutes. Gently flip the eggs over and allow the other side to cook, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the skillet and gently place them on a plate. Top the eggs with the avocado slices and salsa.
- Serve immediately alongside toast, or for a more traditional breakfast, with rice and beans. Enjoy!
That looks so delicious! I’m just going to have to try it!