These Morning Glory Muffins are the best way to start a Monday.
They are colorful, flavorful, and packed with all the delicious things!
And if that is not what you want to eat for breakfast, I don’t know what is.
I got the inspiration for these muffins from my friend JoJo. She makes them every time I visit her and my graduate school friends… basically the perfect way to start my visit with them! These Morning Glory Muffins are traditionally made with shredded apples, pineapple, carrots, coconut, raisins, and nuts. JoJo makes the traditional muffin and they are SO GOOD.
My crew is a little coconut- and raisin-adverse and I was out of fresh apples… so I decided to make Morning Glory Muffins my way. I subbed applesauce for the fresh apples and left out the coconut and raisins. While the outcome was a little different than the ones JoJo makes for me, they are still a sweet way to start my week!
These muffins start out with a basic dry base – flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon. Whisk together and set aside.
Now we make the wet ingredient mixture.
Unsweetened applesauce, vanilla yogurt (I prefer Siggi’s Icelandic Sykr or non-fat Greek yogurt – they add extra protein!), eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, and skim milk. Stir everything to combine.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and barely combine.
Now add in all the fun stuff!
Shredded carrot, crushed pineapple (with its juice), and chopped pecans!
Stir to combine and then scoop out even portions of batter in between twelve muffin cups.
Bake for five minutes in a preheated 425 degree oven and then drop the temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
They are loaded with goodness and all.the.things.
A happy and delicious way to start your Monday!
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup non-fat vanilla yogurt - preferably Siggi's Icelandic Skyr or Greek-style yogurt
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup skim milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- ½ cup crushed pineapple with juice
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Spray a standard muffin tin with cooking spray or line with muffin liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon - whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine, applesauce, yogurt, eggs, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. Beat to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into dry ingredients and just barely combine. Add in the carrots, pineapple, and pecans. Stir to combine.
- Portion out the batter evenly into the muffin cups. Bake the muffins at 425 degrees for 5 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 15 minutes until the muffins are completely baked. Let the muffins cool for five minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely!
Leave a Reply