This past weekend was Easter Weekend, which meant family, fun, and a whole lot of food.
Since my sister was here (and it was a holiday weekend), I chucked my CNSC book to the side and decided to give myself the weekend off. (best. decision. ever)
After a weekend filled with sister time, chocolate bunnies, and a huge family cookout where I personally consumed a pound of roasted pig, it is officially back to reality. As I return to my studying schedule, I am looking for easy dinners that are quick to whip up and easy to eat while I study.
And Pizza Bagels totally fit that bill!
What I love about this recipe is that it is super simple to make, super quick to cook, and totally customizable. You can use whatever bagels you have on hand, whatever cheeses you like, and whatever toppings you like.
Basically weeknight dinner nirvana.
And who really doesn’t really love a good pizza bagel?
This recipe starts with…
… a bagel! I am currently obsessed with marble rye bagels (those swirls!), but my sister loves pizza bagels made on whole wheat everything ones. That’s what makes this dinner so awesome – just grab a bunch of bagels and allow everyone to make their own.
Portion on a bit of your favorite marinara sauce, layer on some cheese, and add whatever toppings you like. Plain marinara sauce with fresh mozzarella is my go-to choice, but go crazy. Ditch the red sauce and use pesto. Or just put cheese on the bagel for a white-style pizza with loads of garlic and spinach. Or spoon on fig preserves and fresh mozzarella and then top the finished bagel with prosciutto, baby arugula, and fresh parmesan shavings. The options are endless.
Bake the pizza bagels under the broiler (set on high) until the bagel edges are toasty and the cheesy is melty.
I sprinkled over some hot chili flakes, dried oregano, and garlic powder (my go-to pizza toppings) and dug in. A comforting meal that is perfect for long study sessions.
So, what’s your quick, go-to meal?
- 1 bagel
- 4 tablespoons marinara sauce
- 2oz fresh mozzarella
- Toppings - pepperoni, sautéed onions, grilled veggies
- Turn on your oven's broiler on high. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice bagel in half. Pop the halves onto the baking sheet. Spoon half the sauce over each half of the bagel (2 tablespoons on each half). Evenly layer the cheese over each half of the bagel (1oz on each half).
- Add any toppings you desire.
- Pop the baking sheet into the oven and broil for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melty and golden. Enjoy!