I really, really love vegetables.
Kinda goes with the whole RD2Be thing.
So when my mom made approximately five pounds of roasted vegetables this week, my heart soared and my stomach rejoiced (if internal organs were capable of emotions and thought).
I love roasted vegetables. Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of the vegetables, making unpleasant vegetables (like the disliked Brussels sprout) delicious and appealing to the most stubborn vegetable hater.
And roasting is super simple… chop, dump, roast, serve. Easy peasy!
It starts with a whole load of veggies.
Carrots, red bell pepper, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and red onion. We made enough to feed an army but you can use less veggies for a more normal portion (see the recipe below). All you need to do is cut up the vegetables into equal sized chunks.
And spread them out on rimmed baking sheets. We tossed in some red potatoes as well so we had our starch and vegetable in one dish.
Then, for a small delicious surprise, toss in a few peeled garlic cloves. They’ll roast along with the vegetables and become golden, soft, and DIVINE. Spread on some warm bread… food does not get any better than that.
We decided last minute that we wanted EVEN MORE veggies in our roasted vegetables, so my mom tossed in some broccoli – it added a nice amount of green to the dish!
Drizzle on some olive oil.
Sprinkle on some kosher salt and some cracked black pepper and then pop the cookie sheets into the oven and roast at 400 degrees for approximately 40 minutes, or until the vegetables are brown and tender.
Psst… the best part are the crispy Brussels sprout leaves that are on the bottom of the pan – make sure to nab them before your family does!
Now it’s all about how you want to serve them.
We just piled the veggies onto a platter and dug in.
Or you can place them in a whole wheat wrap with a little hummus and have a quick, easy, and delightful lunch!
Or mix into warm pasta and drizzle with a little olive oil.
Or toss with orzo to make a cold pasta salad.
One dish, endless opportunities!
I hope you enjoy this delicious vegetable recipe!
Happy Thursday, everyone!
Your crispy Brussels sprout leave stealin’ friend,
- ½ a head of cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, halved if they are very large
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper, cut into large pieces
- 1 medium-sized red onion, cut into large chunks
- 3 medium-sized carrots, cut into large pieces
- 2-3 medium-sized red potatoes, cut into large chunks (optional)
- Whole garlic cloves (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a high-sided cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place all the vegetables onto the cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss vegetables to coat and arrange them into one flat layer.
- Place cookie sheet into the oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until the vegetables become tender and brown. Serve as a side or as an addition to wraps, sandwiches, pastas, etc.
Leave a Reply