Happy Sunday, friends!
We celebrate our hospital’s Dietetic Internship this past week (congratulations, graduates!) and nothing says party like these Salted Caramel Monster Cookies!
I got the idea for these cookies when I went to a socially distant dinner/movie night in a friend’s backyard. My friend Evi planned out the cutest popcorn bar and my friend Toni brought along movie candy – Milk Duds + hot salty popcorn for life! Toni upped the ante by bringing CARAMEL M&M candies… world changed.
So when I wanted to make some cookies this weekend to bring to work, I thought about those Caramel M&Ms and how I could work them into a cookie. And there is no more classic cookie than a Monster cookie. And these are monstorous (they are 3-4 tablespoons of dough each!).
What I love about this cookie dough is that it’s simple, comes together with just a hand mixer (but you can totally use your stand mixer if you want!), and tastes like a M&M oatmeal cookie was mixed with a Peanut Butter Kiss cookie!
It also is flour-free, which means that it’s a great cookie to bring if you’re unsure if people are gluten-free. As a dietitian with three dear friends with Celiac disease, I like knowing that I am bringing a dessert that everyone can enjoy!
Also who can’t resist the combo of peanut butter + dark chocolate + caramel + sea salt. These are your new cookie jar staple!
Have a sweet day, everyone!
Salted Caramel Monster Cookies
Makes 23-24 cookies | Time: 60 minutes
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract; if unavailable, use bourbon or whiskey
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 1/2 cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup caramel M&Ms
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl (or in the bowl of your stand mixer), combine butter and both sugars. Beat with either a hand mixer or a stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla, and peanut butter. Continue to beat until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl intermittently.
- Add in the rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add in the caramel M&Ms and chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Portion out heaping 3-4 tablespoons of dough onto the parchment-paper lined baking trays. Bake the cookies for 11-12 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through.
- Sprinkle cookies with some sea salt immediately after removing from the oven. Allow the cookies to cool 5-10 minutes on the baking sheets and then move to a wire rack to cool completely.