Hey there! I missed you! Are you having a good Sunday?
Know what will make it better?
Yes, baked eggs.
My family stumbled upon the food tradition of baked eggs by total accident during our family trip to Paris a few years ago. We were staying at a wonderful hotel that put out a great breakfast spread each morning. My mom wanted to really fuel up one morning and ordered fried eggs for breakfast.
And what she got was so different from any fried egg she ever saw. Baked eggs are the perfect combination of runny yolk and firmly set egg whites. It took a couple attempts at home before we cracked the code. And we have been in breakfast nirvana ever since.
It starts with small gratin dishes placed on a cookie sheet (for easy removal from the oven).
The YIA (my grandmother) gave these dishes to us and they have become a staple dish for our weekend breakfasts.
Toss in a pat of butter in each dish…
… and then pop them into a pre-heated 350 degree oven for a minute or two until the butter melts.
When the butter is melted, carefully add in two eggs.
Be careful – the dishes are SUPER hot.
Sprinkle the eggs with salt and pepper.
And then pop the eggs back into the oven for 10-11 minutes until the egg whites are set.
Serve alongside your favorite toast for a French breakfast of champions!
I hope you enjoy this new way to make your weekend eggs!
Have a great Sunday, kiddos!
Your French breakfast lovin’ friend,
This recipe was featured in Perfect Eats on i’mperfect magazine, check it out here: http://im-perfectmagazine.com/baked-eggs/
- 4 eggs
- 4 teaspoons of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon of ground black pepper, divided
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Place two gratin dishes on a cookie sheet (for easily removal from the oven) and add two teaspoons of butter in each gratin dish. Place the gratin dishes into the oven for 1-2 minutes, or until the butter is melted.
- When the butter is melted, remove the gratin dishes from the oven. Carefully add the eggs into the melted butter. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the two dishes.
- Place dishes back into the oven for 10-11 minutes, until the egg whites are set.
- Serve immediately with your favorite type of toast and fruit salad!