These California Tequila Sours are a homage to my maternal grandfather.
My grandfather was in love with Whiskey Sours. They were his signature cocktail and he would whip them up for all the parties he and my grandma would throw for their friends. He would combine whiskey, sour mix, and orange juice (so I guess that would make it a California Sour) and then blend it vigorously so the resulting drink was frothy and delicious.
A couple weeks ago, we made his California Whiskey Sours (blender frothing and everything) and I was like…. ehhhhhh. I realized that I am not a big whiskey fan. But, I knew that my homemade sour mix would mix super well with my liquor of choice – TEQUILA.
And my California Tequila Sours were born.
They are slightly tart, slightly sweet, and garnished with maraschino cherries… basically everything I ever wanted in a cocktail.
(they are also a perfect addition to your Super Bowl menu tomorrow!)
This whole process started with my homemade sour mix.
And yes, it does make a difference.
If you make your own sour mix, you can make it as sweet or as tart as you want it. And I love having that control over my cocktails.
It’s also the easiest thing ever too…
In a large jar (these Weck Jars are my current obsession), combine lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, and simple syrup. Put the lid on it and shake to combine. Refrigerate until you need it!
To make the California Tequila Sour, pour 6oz of sour mix into a cocktail shaker (or a mason jar, like me) and add in 1oz of tequila (or more if you like it stronger). Shake to combine and pour into a glass.
Garnish with an orange wedge and a maraschino cherry!
A refreshing cocktail that is perfect for any celebration!
Have a great Saturday!
- ½ cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ cup orange juice, bottled
- 1 cup simple syrup
- Orange wedges and maraschino cherries for garnish
- Combine 1 cup granulated sugar and 1 cup water in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until the sugar is just dissolved. Turn off the heat and allow to cool completely. Store in a tight-lidded jar in the fridge until ready to use.
- In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine lemon juice, lime juice, orange juice, and 1 cup of the simple syrup. Place the lid on the jar and shake to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Add ¾ cup of sour mix to a cocktail shaker (or a mason jar). Add 1oz of tequila, pop the lid on the jar and shake to combine. Pour into a glass and garnish with an orange wedge and a maraschino cherry.
Leave a Reply