Let’s talk about banana bread.
In my opinion, banana bread is should be called the “blank canvas” of sweet breads. The basic recipe is delicious by itself, but you can add different flavorings and mix-ins to create something new and delightful.
Basically, anything is fair game.
(so get creative!)
I had some super ripe bananas and some ideas, so I decided to whip up some banana bread.
Some Chocolate Chunk Banana Bread.
And it is probably my favorite version of banana bread! (so far…)
It starts with the dry ingredients.
Flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk together and set aside.
Then assemble the wet ingredients.
Mashed ripe bananas, granulated sugar, brown sugar, unsweetened applesauce, water, and apple cider vinegar. Note about unsweetened applesauce – it is sometimes labeled as “natural”… check the ingredients just in case!
Stir the wet ingredients to combine. Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently stir to combine.
Now add in the fun stuff!
Some dark chocolate chunks and some chopped walnuts! (because what is banana bread without walnuts?)
Pour the batter evenly into two greased loaf pans. Bake the banana bread in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the bread is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let the loaf cool for 5-10 minutes in the pan then turn them out and cool completely on wire racks. Slice ’em up…
… and dig in!
Definitely a fun twist on the classic!
So, what’s your favorite version of banana bread? Let me know!
Your banana bread obsessed friend,
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce - note: some unsweetened applesauces are labeled as "natural"
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 4oz dark chocolate, chopped into chunks
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease two loaf pans with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk together to combine and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss in the bananas. Using a fork, mash the bananas to the consistency you desire - I like my bananas with a little texture! Add in the granulated sugar, brown sugar, applesauce, water, and vinegar. Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir gently to combine. Add in chocolate chunks and the walnuts. Stir to combine. Evenly divide the batter between the two load pans.
- Bake the bread for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the loaves cool slightly in the tins and remove them and then let them cool completely on a wire cooling rack.