Now that summer is coming to a close ( *sob* ), I am trying to purchase/cook/eat as much summer produce as possible. Which means that I am gorging myself on peaches, berries, tomatoes, and fresh sweet corn. While I love my fruits and veggies, I usually get stuck in a rut – marinated tomato salad, berries on cereal, and corn on the cob. So that means I am constantly looking for new ways to showcase my favorite summer eats.
Like taking my sister’s favorite corn muffin and adding fresh sweet corn kernels. And was that an awesome decision! The fresh sweet corn added an additional sweetness to the muffins (yay!) and also a good textural component. Plus, corn is a good source of vitamin C (which gives the muffins a bit of a nutritional kick!).
These muffins are also super easy to whip up, which means that you can make them right now! (seriously…)
The muffin batter starts with the dry ingredients.
All-purpose flour, yellow corn meal, baking powder, and salt all get mixed in a large mixing bowl.
Then in a separate bowl, whisk up some brown sugar and two eggs.
In a measuring cup (or you can add it to the same bowl and not dirty another kitchen vessel), add in some skim milk, vegetable oil, and a bit of vanilla extract.
And for another element of sweetness – some maple syrup! Stir everything to combine.
Add the wet ingredient to the dry ingredients and gently mist together.
When the mixture is about 75% combined, add in the kernels of two ears of corn. The fresh corn adds such a wonderful texture and flavor to the finished muffins.
Stir the corn into the batter completely.
Then portion out the batter into muffin tins line with muffin cups – this makes about 14 standard muffins but you can totally make little mini ones too (I did both!). Bake the muffins for 10 minutes at 425 degrees, then lower the temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes until the muffins are fragrant and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out cleanly.
Definitely a fun twist on a classic!
So, what’s your favorite muffin? And how are you getting in those last bits of summer?
Your corn muffin obsessed friend,
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup skim milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Kernels off two ears of corn - about 3 cups
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line two muffin tins with baking cups.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, corn meal, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, brown sugar, skim milk, vegetable oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir gently to combine. When the mixtures is about ~75% mixed, add in the corn kernels. Stir to combine.
- Portion out batter into muffin cups (about ¼ cup per muffin cup). Bake the muffins at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, then lower the oven temperature to 350 and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Let the muffins cool for 5 minutes in the tins and then remove the muffins to a cooling rack and let them cool completely!