Edible cookie dough is popping up all over the internet.
And I don’t hate it.
I am a big cookie dough lover and am constantly looking for ways to make it at home!
While you can easily omit eggs from the dough recipe, I learned that eating raw flour is not good – it can contain E. coli, which can make you super sick. So with flour out, I was totally perplexed about how to make a safe edible cookie dough.
But then I remembered about ROLLED OATS.
You can totally eat oats raw (AKA overnight oats), which makes them the perfect dry component for the dough. And because I love you more than anything (and want you to be safe), I confirmed with the USDA’s Ask Karen hotline (oats are A-OKAY!).
Since oats have a more prominent flavor than regular all-purpose flour, I decided to choose mixin’s that complement their stronger flavor profile.
So I made Edible Monster Cookie Dough.
I loaded up my dough with mini M&Ms, pecans, and chocolate chips – it is all the flavor of Monster Cookies without having to bake them!
This edible cookie dough starts with the wet ingredient base.
Granulated sugar + brown sugar.
And some melted butter. I also added in some skim milk to thin everything out.
Then I added in some homemade oat flour + salt. To make the oat flour, I added a cup and a half of rolled oats that are buzzed up in a food processor/blender until completely fine.
Stir the oat flour into the wet ingredients until just combined.
Then add in all the delicious extras!
Mini M&Ms, chopped pecans, and mini chocolate chips. Stir to complete combine.
And then dig in!
I popped my cookie dough into a mason jar with a tight-fitting lid. The dough lasts for about a week in the fridge (but we all know it won’t last that long!).
Definitely a way to indulge in edible cookie dough without the risk!
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar, unpacked
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons skim milk
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cup rolled oats, put in a blender/food processor and blended until ground finely
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup mini M&Ms
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and granulated sugar. Whisk together to combine.
- Add melted butter to sugar mixture and whisk to combine until no lumps are next. Add in skim milk and whisk to combine.
- Add in the oat flour and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add in the M&Ms, pecans, and chocolate chips. Stir to combine. Dig in immediately or pop into a container with a tight fitting lid and store in fridge for 1 week.