This Lemon Bourbon Blueberry Slab Pie is all of my favorite things.
Easy assembly with impressive results!
This is my go-to summer dessert because it:
- Feeds a crowd (praise!).
- Uses pantry/freezer staples.
- Comes together in 90 minutes.
- Looks so cute!
This slab pie comes together so easily because I used a couple kitchen hacks.
First, I used store-bought pie crust… because I cannot make pastry dough. Seriously, I’ve tried and the results are inedible.
Second, I used frozen, thawed blueberries in the filling. While I do prefer to use fresh berries in my blueberry pie, my favorite blue fruit is SO EXPENSIVE right now. In a couple weeks when I can get 5 pounds of blueberries for $5, I will use fresh berries in my slab pie. But frozen ones work just fine (which means slab pie all year round!).
To make the slab pie, you start by taking two store-bought pie crusts (or one recipe of your go-to pie pastry recipe) and roll them together to form a rectangle that can cover the bottom of a greased 9×13 rimmed baking sheet (also called a quarter sheet pan!). Allow for the pastry to come up the edges of the pan and either crimp or roll the edges down. Or leave them rough and rustic like I did! I keep the pie base in the freezer while I make the filling!
Then prep the filling which is just blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, lemon, and bourbon. The alcohol is optional, but blueberries + bourbon go so well together!
You pop the filling into the pie crust and then top with pastry stars… whatever pattern you see fit! I used big stars, but a bunch of little ones would be so cute too! Just make sure that there is a little space to allow for steam to escape. Brush the stars with egg wash and then sprinkle over coarse sugar to make them glisten.
Bake your masterpiece in a preheated 400 degree oven (pop the pie into the freezer if you have to wait for the oven to finish heating) for 45-60 minutes, or until the blueberries are bubbly and the stars are golden brown!
I can’t think of a better way to celebrate Memorial Day this weekend!
What are you baking up?
Lemon Blueberry Bourbon Slab Pie
Serves: 12-14 people | Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
• 3 pie crusts, either store-bought or homemade
• 36oz blueberries, fresh or frozen (that have been thawed and drained
• 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 3 tablespoons corn starch • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/8 teaspoon salt
• Juice from 1/2 a lemon
• 2 tablespoons bourbon
• One egg + a splash of water beaten together
• Coarse sugar for sprinkling
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Take two of the pie crusts and lay them on top of each other. Roll them out to make a large rectangle that will fill the bottom and sides of a 9×13 rimmed baking sheet.
3. Place the crust in the greased rimmed baking sheet, patch any cracks, and either roll or crimp the edges. Place baking sheet in the freezer.
4. Take the third pie crust and cut out stars using a star shaped cookie cutter. You can use any size you wish – I used big ones because I loved the look of them! Pop the stars on a plate and place in the freezer until you’re ready to assemble.
5. Combine blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt, lemon juice, and bourbon. Stir together until no traces of sugar or cornstarch are visible.
6. Remove the crust from the freezer and fill with the blueberries mixture. Remove the stars from the freezer and arrange them over the blueberry mixture. Brush egg wash over pie crust edges and stars and then sprinkle over coarse sugar.
7. Bake the slab pie in a preheated oven for 35-45 minutes until the crust is golden and the blueberries are bubbly!
8. Cool slightly before serving! Enjoy!
Leave a Reply