Happy Tuesday, everyone!
Did you have a good Super Bowl weekend?
We gorged ourselves on chili, pretzels, and cookie bars and it was FANTASTIC.
But now, I’m ready for some lighter eating.
Which means a filling, yet hearty breakfast to start my day off right!!
And when I think about a light, hearty breakfast, I think about granola.
One of my good friends from graduate school would make huge batches of homemade granola and share with us during morning classes (because nutrition + class + snacks = morning win). She would have different flavors/combinations each time (she made craisin/coconut/almond for her baby shower favors!) and it was always a nice treat during and in between classes.
Since I could not snap my fingers and have T’s granola appear right in front of me, I decided to whip up a batch of my own. But I feel that granola is very personal. You can change up the nuts/seeds/fruit/sticky stuff and create a different result each time.
So I decided to make a riff off my Craisin Oatmeal Cookies and make Oatmeal Cookie Granola! I took oats and added craisins, pecans, and almonds and bound everything together with a sweet honey-cinnamon syrup.
Basically, it’s like crumbled cookies for breakfast! (how is that a bad thing?!)
And I have learned that it is probably one of the easiest things to whip up too!
Here is how you make this awesome Oatmeal Cookie Granola.
While the oven was preheating to 300 degrees, I pulled together the dry ingredients.
Oats + craisins + pecans + sliced almonds.
All my favorite ingredients in oatmeal cookies!
Then I whipped up the sticky part of the granola.
Brown sugar + honey + cinnamon + nutmeg + vanilla extract.
I whisked everything together…
… and poured it over the oats’n’stuff. Then work super quickly to toss the dry ingredients with the sticky ones, making sure that each speck of oat/nut/craisin is covered.
Pour the oats onto a baking sheet lined with parchment. Pop the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes (tossing the granola around halfway) until golden and just crisp.
Then go crazy!
My family had it on yogurt.
But I like mine on cereal!
Or use it in trail mix!
It is a delicious snack that tastes like a treat!
So, what’s your favorite granola combination?
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, pecans, and almonds. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine honey, brown sugar, vegetable oil, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and toss to coat. Pour the oats onto the baking sheet and spread out in an even layer.
- Pop the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, tossing halfway. Remove the baking sheet from the oven, cool slightly, and break granola into clumps. Cool completely before enjoying!