Muffins are my jam.
I love their soft middles.
I love their crusty tops.
I love their mix-ins.
What I don’t love is that I eat a muffin for breakfast and it doesn’t fill me up AT ALL.
Because this girl needs PROTEIN in the morning.
So when I discovered Kodiak Cakes Protein Power Cakes Mix could be turned into muffins, I knew my breakfast dreams were realized. I took my original Applesauce Muffins (my crew’s fave) and swapped out the flour for the Power Cakes Mix and the eggs for Greek yogurt… which made a protein-packed muffin that was delicious and nutritious.
The muffins start with the dry ingredients.
I mixed Kodak Cakes Power Protein Cakes Mix with granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
I poured over a mixture of applesauce, Greek yogurt (more protein!), and vanilla extract. Stir everything together to combine.
The add in some mix-ins!
I added in a bunch of diced apple (unpeeled because fiber) and some chopped pecans. Because apples + pecans = best friends forever!
Portion out scoops of batter into paper-lined muffin tins. Bake the muffins for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clear.
A delicious, protein-packed breakfast treat!
Definitely a sweet, yummy way to start the day!
- 2 cups Kodiak Cakes Power Cakes Mix
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅓ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium-sized apple, diced – I like Cortlands, but any firm, sweet apple works
- ½ cup pecan halved, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine Power Cakes mix, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg. Whisk to combine – be patient… the brown sugar can clump a bit.
- In a small bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, applesauce, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir quickly, but gently to just combine. Add in the apple and the pecans – stir gently to combine. Using a scoop, portion out muffin batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin (makes 12 muffins). Pop the muffin tin into the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool for 5-10 minutes in the tins and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before digging in!
Leave a Reply