Guys, it TWO days until the (un)official start of summer… (can you believe how fast this year is flying?!)
What I love Memorial Day is that it is a time when my family can come together and relax/unwind.
It is also the official opening day for ALL the summer food.
Hamburgers, hot dogs, Pavlova Cake, s’mores, etc etc etc.
Basically, my favorite type of food all year long.
In honor of the unofficial start of the summer season, I want to share the ultimate side dish for all your entertaining needs.
French Potato Salad.
And guys, this is the ULTIMATE potato salad. It is the ultimate because it is vinegar-based (AKA, no mayo!), which means that it is perfect for all your weekend picnics/BBQs/potlucks. Since it is not mayo-based, it can sit at room temperature for a couple of hours without the risk for food borne illness (which is a total party killer).
Seriously though, this salad takes 30 minutes to pull together, gets even better as it sits in the fridge, and everyone loves it.
And that is a summer win!
This French Potato Salad starts with the most important ingredient….
I used small red potatoes in this recipe, but small new potatoes work well too. Rinse them, cut them into bite-sized pieces (the teeny tiny potatoes can stay whole), and put them in a large pot. Cover the potatoes with cold water, bring the potatoes to a boil, and cook until fork tender.
Drain the potatoes and then transfer them to a large bowl. Pour over some white wine – the hot potatoes will soak up the wine, giving them such delicious flavor.
Now make the dressing!
Grab yourself a jar with a tight fitting lid.
Add in some finely chopped shallots.
And some dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, and good olive oil.
Season with salt and pepper.
Finally, add in a bunch of fresh, chopped dill. This totally sends the potato salad over the edge!
Pop the lid on the jar (newest obsession – the Weck jar) and shake vigorously to combine.
Pour the dressing over the warm potatoes. Gently toss everything to combine.
While this potato salad can be eaten at room temperature, it is absolutely divine when it’s warm.
Super easy and perfect for every summer occasion.
- 1½ pounds new potatoes, scrubbed well and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons good white wine, like pinto grigio
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 medium-sized shallot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover them with cold water. Bring potatoes to a boil and cook until they become fork tender but don’t start to break apart. Drain potatoes.
- Drizzle potatoes with wine and toss gently to coat. Set aside.
- In a container with a tight fitting lid, combine olive oil, vinegar, Dijon mustard, shallots, dill, salt, and pepper. Shake vigorously to combine. Pour dressing over the warm potatoes and toss to coat. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt/pepper as needed.
- Serve immediately or pop into the fridge and serve later (tastes great warm or cold!).