I have Spring Fever.
All I want is green grass, trees with green buds, and flowers with big green leaves. Green, green, and more green.
Which means that I was absolutely delighted when I came home from rotation tonight and seeing that my mom was in the process of whipping up a big pot of BRIGHT GREEN split pea soup… which she proceeded to inform me was also vegan (yay for Vegetarianism 3.0)!
It all starts with a large stock pot filled with some chopped onion, celery, carrots, and potatoes.
Look at all those delicious vegetables! I love all the different colors (especially the green celery).
Toss in one pound of green split peas that have been thoroughly picked through (sometimes you find a stone!) and thoroughly rinsed.
All that’s left to do is add in some herbs and spices.
Some bay leaves, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Nothing too overpowering – we want those peas to shine!
And then cover the whole mixture with cold water.
Stir to combine and then simmer the veggies and split peas with the pot lid slightly cracked 2-2½ hours until the soup becomes thick and perfectly green!
Hello, split pea soup! All that’s left is to stir in 2-3 tablespoons of chopped, fresh dill. Green, fresh, and a great complement to the earthy split peas.
Spring fever cured… at least for now!
Your spring obsessed friend,
- 1-1lb bag of green split peas
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound celery, sliced into half-moons
- 3 medium-sized russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½–inch rings
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 quarts water
- 1 pound carrots, sliced into thick rings
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- In a large soup pot, add in split peas, onion, celery, potatoes, garlic powder, dried oregano, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 1½ hours.
- Add in carrots, stir to combine, and continue to simmer uncovered for 2-2½ hours until the soup becomes thick and green. Stir in the fresh dill and serve alongside crusty bread.